Portable dishwashers are a great investment for anyone looking for an economic, hassle-free solution to doing their dishes. Portable dishwashers will save you dividends in water costs and time as opposed to doing your dishes by hand. Your next kitchen installation should always take the available area into consideration.
If your residence has a landlord that doesn’t allow you to install a full-blown dishwasher, or if you simply live in a college dorm, a portable dishwasher is the ultimate solution for you. Even for those who own their residence but find that their kitchen is too tight on space for a built-in dishwasher, portable dishwashers that take up far less space and can be moved around easily are your go-to option.
Another factor to consider is the effort needed to install a built-in dishwasher into your kitchen. This will likely require you to find an appropriate location to accommodate the placement of your water pipes, knock down some walls, and pay the premium price of a built-in dishwasher with installation fees. Portable dishwashers are also easy to move around (per the name) should you ever choose to do so. This is especially convenient for people who frequently camp or live in a remote setting.
It’s not hard to see why portable dishwashers are becoming a more popular choice for consumers, which is why I will break down my five favorite picks for portable dishwashers here.
Compact and Stacked with Essential Features: The hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher is one of the best of its kind, featuring a wide variety of modes, energy efficiency, and storage space. hOmeLabs is a company that designs effective home solutions with homeowners’ essential demands in mind.
This dishwasher offers a stainless steel interior and 6 different wash cycle options to choose from: Heavy, Normal, ECO, Glass, Speed, and Rinse. The minimalistic and very straightforward interface allows you to effortlessly navigate the different settings to suit your dishwashing needs.
The hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher also consumes a measly 3.1 gallons per water cycle, making a strong case to abandon your hand-washing dish habits. As stated by Energy Star, hand-washing your dishes consume a whopping 25 gallons per cycle which pales in comparison to this dishwasher, which would save over 87% as much water.
As aforementioned, this dishwasher features a stainless steel interior tub, which has some major benefits over dishwashers constructed with plastic. Stainless steel muffles noise while your dishwasher is operating more effectively than plastic, making stainless steel washers a more popular choice for those who wish to avoid obnoxiously loud dishwashers that will run late at night.
It also resists stains (as per the name) and odors. Stainless steel dishwashers are also not only a more premium and durable material, but they are far more efficient when it comes to drying dishes because it retains heat inside the dishwasher better than plastic. Speaking of drying dishes, one of the limitations of this dishwasher is the lack of a drying feature, which means you will need to air dry your dishes or dry them by hand using a towel.
- Dimensions: 21.6 inches long, 17.2 inches tall, and 19.6 inches deep
- Weight: 44.1 lbs
- Energy Star certified: products with this certification meet the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) criteria as an energy efficient product that will save energy consumption costs in the long-term while delivering the same performance as its non-certified equivalents
- 6-place setting storage capacity
- Straightforward interface that is easy to use
- Stainless steel interior tub that will last a long time, muffle noise, and resists stains and odors
- Easy assembly: all materials required to construct this dishwasher are included in the box
- Includes a wide variety of accessories: rain hose, inlet hose, faucet adapter, drinkware rack, detergent dispenser, cutlery basket, spray arms, silverware basket, filter, and rinse aid
- No drying function. Dishes will need to be dried either by hand or by letting them sit out to dry
- Simple design that lacks a modern feel in comparison to other dishwashers
- Not as small or portable in comparison to competitors
Original Retail 349.99
Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Complete Portable Countertop Dishwasher
Big on Portability, Small in Size, Offered in a Modern Design: Designed by Farberware, a company responsible for providing quality cookware and bakeware, the FDW05ASBWHA Complete Portable Countertop Dishwasher has a much more modern and sleeker design than the hOmeLabs dishwasher and features a front glass window view, which is useful for those who like to check on their dishes while they are being washed, or for those who simply want to see how much space is available in their dishwasher without having to open it.
This dishwasher includes 5 different modes: Normal, Rapid, Fruit Wash, Baby Care and Glass. The two noteworthy cycles are Fruit and Baby Care. The Fruit cycle turns your dishwasher into a fruit basket that will wash your fruits and vegetables before you serve them. The Baby Care cycle generates steam that can be used to cleanse your baby bottles and eliminate odors, similar to how the Glass cycle utilizes steam to sterilize your glassware.
True to its label of being a portable dishwasher, the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA can operate without the use of a sink or water source by using its optional built-in water tank with a capacity of 5 liters that can be filled and used without the need to connect to a faucet. In addition to this portability feature, this dishwasher is also incredibly light. At 16.1 pounds, it weighs less than half the weight of the other dishwashers on this list, and less than a third of the Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA, making it an excellent choice for those who intend to frequently move their portable dishwasher.
- Dimensions: 16.5 inches long, 17.3 inches tall, and 17.3 inches deep
- Weight: 16.2 lbs
- Built-in 5-liter water tank that does not require any connection to a faucet. This is ideal for frequent traveling, camping, portable kitchens, RV settings, and boat use
- The front glass view allows you to see inside to determine the available occupancy to load in new dishes to clean
- Very lightweight, making it much easier to move and carry around than other competing dishwashers
- Sleek and modern design in comparison to its competitors
- Small interior does not allow for sizeable storage space
- This premium dishwasher’s high price may not be worth the buy for everyone, particularly for those who intend to keep it in a fixed location (such as a kitchen or apartment), where the built-in water tank might not be used often due to faucets already being available to hook up to this dishwasher
- The control panel is located towards the bottom of the front face of the dishwasher, making it a little more difficult to read and interact with the controls without ducking down a bit to see and adjust the settings for this particular dishwasher depending on the height of your counter or surface that this unit will be mounted on
- While a water hose is included to establish a direct connection to a faucet, an adapter is not included, meaning you’ll need to go out and buy an adapter for the water hose if it does not fit over your faucet
EdgeStar DWP62SV Portable Countertop Dishwasher
Conserve on Utility Bills Without Sacrificing the Performance You Deserve: The EdgeStar DWP62SV is sold by EdgeStar, an American-based company that has provided a wide variety of home appliances since 1999. This dishwasher features a large interior for great storage space and boasts fantastic energy efficiency for a dishwasher of its caliber. The EnergyGuide label estimates how much energy this dishwasher uses, and approximates the annual energy cost at $18!
Furthermore, this dishwasher consumes very little water, at only 2.85 gallons per normal wash. Combined with the energy conserving capabilities, this is sure to cut down your utility bills considerably. For these reasons, I would most recommend this dishwasher to the frugal demographic who prioritize energy efficiency and water conservation in their appliances in order to cut down on their utility bills. Consumption perks aside, this dishwasher is comprised of a 6-place setting and stainless steel interior, which is always nice to have.
One downside is the 5 foot hose included that connects the back of the dishwasher to your faucet. This hose has been reported by numerous customers to be fragile and require delicate threading when connecting the dishwasher to your faucet in order to avoid damaging the hose and causing leakage. Thus, you may want to avoid connecting and disconnecting the hose from your dishwasher regularly.
Also included are 7 different wash cycles: Heavy, Normal, Light, Glass, Baby Care, Speed, and Rinse.
- Dimensions: 21.7 inches long, 17.2 inches tall, and 19.7 inches deep
- Weight: 44 lbs
- Large interior that can store dinner plates with 10.5” in diameter, larger than the 10” plates that the Farberware FCD06ABBWHA can hold
- Incredible energy efficiency. Energy Star certified and includes EnergyGuide label detailing an estimated yearly energy cost of $18 assuming you run a natural gas water heater
- Stainless steel interior tub
- Noise level of 52.3 dB, approximately the same volume as a quiet indoor conversation
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Available in two colors: silver and white. Note that both versions include a steel interior tub
- The included hose that connects this dishwasher to a faucet is reputed to be of poor quality and requires careful connecting when coupling it to your dishwasher to avoid damaging your connections and causing leaks
- While this dishwasher checks almost all the boxes, it does not have any features that give it a significant edge over the hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher. Despite this, the Edgestar DWP62SV will still cost you slightly more than its hOmeLabs counterpart
Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA Compact Portable Countertop Dishwasher
Delivering Essentials and Beyond: The Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA Compact Countertop Dishwasher has similarities to the hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher. The two units share similar stainless steel interior tubs, Energy Star certifications, 6-place setting interior capacity, and similar dimensions with the Farberware being very slightly longer and deeper than the hOmeLabs dishwasher. While the two machines share many of the same wash cycles, the Farberware has 7 cycles, one more than the hOmeLabs dishwasher.
The one distinguished cycle that the Farberware washer has is Self-Clean, a useful feature that cleans the inside of the dishwasher itself, making it easy to cleanse your dishwasher of any stubborn bits of food residue that you would otherwise need to go out of your way to scrape off by hand. This dishwasher offers 7 different wash cycles: Heavy, Normal, Baby Care, Light, Glass, Speed (cleans dishes in 45 minutes), and Self-Clean.
An additional Extra-Drying Function is also included, which adds more heat into the final cycle during rinsing to assist in the drying process. The limitation with Extra-Drying, however, is that it can only be used with Heavy, Normal, Light, Glass, and Baby Care cycles. But, this excludes only two modes (Speed and Self-Clean) while managing to be incorporated into the majority of the main cycles.
In addition, this dishwasher offers a couple of extra utilities: warning indicator LEDs and a Child Lock function, which locks the control panel to prevent children from tampering with the controls. This function also prevents users from accidentally bumping into or pressing of any of the controls.
- Dimensions: 21.7 inches long, 17.2 inches tall, and 19.7 inches deep
- Weight: 63.9 lbs
- Stainless steel interior tub, which has many benefits over that of plastic. As covered in the hOmeLabs washer, stainless steel is more durable, sound muffling, and more resistant to stains and odors
- Can store dinner plates up to 10” in diameter
- Child Lock function that locks controls to prevent unintended input from users
- In addition to having a comprehensive LED control panel (typical in all the dishwashers on this list), this particular dishwasher features unique warning LEDs that indicate if the dishwasher’s rinse aid supply is running low and if the dishwasher is not receiving any water
- Quick installation: similar to the hOmeLabs dishwasher, this unit comes with accessories and easy-to-connect parts for simple setup
- Speed cycle cleans your dishes in just 45 minutes
- Self-cleaning cycle cleans the dishwasher itself, making maintenance easy as opposed to other dishwashers where you would be responsible for maintaining your dishwasher’s interior yourself
- This is the heaviest dishwasher on this list, weighing in at 63.9 pounds. This makes it possibly the least portable when it comes to moving it. In the event that you do plan to move this dishwasher frequently from say a kitchen closet to your sink, you would likely need a pushcart on wheels to move it around and somewhere to store it. If you plan on picking this up, it is recommended that you have a fixed place in your kitchen on a countertop or someplace similar to keep it permanently sitting
BLACK+DECKER BCD6W Compact Countertop Dishwasher
Convenient Features and Contemporary Design Rolled into One: The BLACK+DECKER BCD6W features most of the standard specifications you would expect in a portable dishwasher but with a modern design, particularly in the front glass window, a combination we haven’t seen much of from its competitors.
There is also an extremely convenient Delay Start Option that allows you to set a timer at the end of which the dishwasher will begin its cycle, allowing you to coordinate when the dishes need to be done and the dishwasher will automatically begin its cycle at your preferred time regardless of whether you are present to start the cycle or not. This wonderful feature can schedule wash times up to 24 hours from the time that you set it, making a convenient automation system that will work even when no one is home.
While this dishwasher possesses the largest measurements on this list, this does not mean that this dishwasher can store larger dishes. In fact, this dishwasher can store dishes up to 10” in diameter, a lower size than the 10.5” plates that the EdgeStar DWP62SV can store with smaller dishwasher dimensions. While half an inch may not be a remarkable difference, it would still be nice if this dishwasher had a more vast storage space to match its larger exterior proportions.
There are also 7 wash cycles offered: Normal, ECO, Glass, 90 minutes, Rapid, Intensive, and Soak.
- Dimensions: 24.8 inches long, 20.9 inches tall, and 23.4 inches deep
- Weight: 46.2 lbs
- Delayed start option can be set for up to 24 hours
- Energy Star certified product that will cut costs on energy consumption while performing at standards set and tested by the EPA
- Child Lock feature prevents users from unintentionally pressing any of the buttons, particularly children who may tamper with the controls
- While all of the dishwashers on this list possess an aesthetically pleasing LED display, this particular dishwasher also has unique touch controls rather than conventional pushbuttons
- Runs at 60 dB noise level. While this is by no means considered loud, it is slightly noisier than the sound output of the EdgeStar DWP62SV
- Dimensions are larger than the other dishwashers on this list, but its storage capacity is not quite as large as you might expect
Most of the portable dishwashers we’ve reviewed, while small in size, can handle reasonably-sized loads of standard place settings. While you may not be able to wash large pots & pans, these portable dishwashers are great options for small kitchens with limited counter space.
We hope our buying guide on portable dishwashers was helpful in allowing you to make the best decision before purchasing your disposable dishwasher.