Last Updated on December 3, 2020 by Mark P.
Update 11.0.0 for the Nintendo Switch is here, and with it come a great many notable additions that change some of the ways the Switch is used, or at least what it can offer as far as user comfort and convenience is concerned. The most notable of these changes is the addition of a Nintendo Switch Online hub on the main page of home, but that’s far from the only thing worth mentioning. Don’t worry, we’ll cover all of it here.
Switch Online Hub Button
The new “Nintendo Switch Online” hub button appears on the home screen right next to the News tab. Its purpose is to essentially put all of the services offered by Nintendo Switch Online into one place for easy access. This includes a pretty big list of things, including smartphone apps, online games, current tournaments, an archive of NES and SNES titles arranged by year, your save data in the cloud, and member offers. Needless to say, it’s mostly there to improve convenience for all players.
Furthermore, Cloud data will now be automatically downloaded on multiple systems if they are all attached to the same account. While this isn’t a huge deal for anyone that is only playing with one Switch, for those who are perhaps using a Switch and a Switch Lite together, the ability to have their saves immediately shared between both devices will probably be a huge boon for them.
Related: Buy Nintendo Switch
Trending with Friends
Also being added is a new “Trending With Friends” option, which will now be available on your user page, below “Friend List”. The point of this feature is to inform you as to what your friends have been playing recently. Aside from knowing what the people on your friend list are up to, it’s a great way to know who’s really into what game and probably down for multiplayer, whether that’s on Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. This tab will not only track which friend has played what over the course of the last ten days, but it will also show how many hours they’ve played each game.
New User Icons
As a minor addition, 12 new user icons have also been added to things. They’re focused on Mario’s 35th anniversary, with icons based on Mario’s classic appearance all the way up to Odyssey. You can even use Mario with FLUDD as your icon, if Super Mario Sunshine was actually your favorite entry in the franchise.
Related: How to Find the Best Deals on Nintendo Switch
Another of the most noteworthy additions is also one of the most useful of all for those who like to share screenshots. With this new update, it is now much easier to transfer screens and videos from the Switch to other devices. You can copy to a computer via USB, or to a smart device via a QR code. This versatility is certain to make things a bit easier and more user-friendly.
Nintendo Switch Ver. 11.0.0 List of Updates
There are a small handful of other changes made to things overall, which includes download prioritization, the ability to name button remaps, and support for Brazilian Portuguese. For more information on these smaller changes, you can read the full update notes below, which goes into great detail about all of the different changes that were made to the Switch for any who are interested.
- Nintendo Switch Online was added to the HOME Menu.
- Access all Nintendo Switch Online services, from getting the latest information to checking your membership status.
*This feature is not available in some countries/regions.
- A new feature that automatically downloads backed up save data was added to the Save Data Cloud.
- When using software with the same Nintendo Account linked to multiple systems, save data backed up from one console will automatically be downloaded to your other system(s).
*To use this feature, it must be enabled under System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud.
*Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually.
*A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the Save Data Cloud service.
- A new Trending feature was added to the User Page.
- Users can check what software their friends are playing or have started playing recently.
Information will not be displayed for friends who have their online status set to display to no one.
- Users can now transfer screenshots and videos from Album to their smart devices.
- Users can wirelessly connect their smart devices to Nintendo Switch to transfer the screenshots and videos saved within their Album.
- For screenshots, users can transfer a maximum of 10 screenshots and 1 video capture at once.
*To connect, users must use their smart device to scan the QR Code displayed on the Nintendo Switch screen.
- A new Copy to a Computer via USB Connection feature was added under System Settings > Data Management > Manage Screenshots and Videos.
- Users can use a USB cable to connect Nintendo Switch to their computers to copy the screenshots and videos saved under Album.
* A USB charging cable [model HAC-010] or a USB-IF certified USB cable that supports data transfer is required to connect to a computer.
- Users can now select what download to prioritize when there are multiple downloads in progress.
- When there are multiple software, update data, or downloadable content downloads in progress, users can now select which they want to download first.
- You can set this under Download Options by selecting the icon for the software you want to download first on the HOME Menu.
- User icons were added.
- 12 user icons that commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series were added.
- Users can now name preset button mappings with the Change Button Mapping feature.
- Brazilian Portuguese was added as a supported language.
- When users set their region to the Americas and their language to Portuguese, the language used on the HOME Menu and in certain software will be displayed in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Several issues were fixed, and usability and stability were improved.
Related: Nintendo Switch is Sold Out Making Prices More Expensive than Usual
Read more gaming news from TheDealExperts here!